Laurel Hollow, Long Island, New York, USA
Laurelton Hall was constructed in 1905 by artist Louis-Comfort Tiffany to serve as his home and to house his extensive collection and examples of his work. The extravagantly decorated Art Nouveau 84-room mansion was set on 600 acres of land and also housed an art school, the Tiffany Chapel originally made for the 18932 Columbian Exposition and a gallery building. In the years after Tiffany’s death the endowment he had provided to continue his work proved inadequate and the contents and the Hall were sold. The buildings were allowed to fall into disrepair and were finally destroyed in a fire in 1957. The painting is based on an old black and white photograph by David Aronow from the Library of Congress.
Lots of shattered glass! Joanne C.