Immerath, Nord-Rhein Westfalen, Germany
The Church of St. Lambertus (German: Pfarrkirche St. Lambertus), known locally as the Immerather Dom (the Immerath Cathedral), was a Roman Catholic church in the village of Immerath. There had been a church dedicated to St. Lambert of Maastrict on the site since the 12th century. This medieval church was enlarged several times until its demolition in 1888. The new replacement church was built between 1888 and 1891 to the designs of Erasmus Schüller. The church was deconsecrated in 2013, and it was demolished on 9 January 2018, despite being considered to be a heritage monument. The demolition was part of the destruction of the entire village of Immerath in order to make way for the Tagebau Garzweiler surface mine.
Requested by Anon.