Portland, Oregon, USA
The Forestry Building in Portland was built for the Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition of 1905. It was the biggest log cabin in the world, made out of massive Douglas fir logs. After the Exposition, it was maintained as an educational exhibit with an endowment by the railroad magnate James J. Hill, who wished to encourage local tourism. It burned down in 1964. A new, more fire-resistant forestry building, designed by architect John Storrs, was built in Washington Park as a replacement, opening in 1971. Its name was changed from the Western Forestry Center to the World Forestry Center in 1986 to reflect its revised focus on global forestry. The painting is based on a 1905 photograph by Fred H. Kiser.
Requested by Anon.